How are we moving around our cities while facing a global pandemic? How have lockdowns affected movement? How do we accommodate urban travel that requires social distancing?
Using sensors from open data sources, we visualize movement of people on foot and by bicycle. Visualization reveals the role of weather, day of week, leisure, exercise, utility travel and compliance with lockdown measures. It helps to anticipate transport planning needs for a safe, sustainable urban travel future.
Explore the cities below.
- Pedestrian and bicycle travel in Basel.
- Pedestrian traffic in city centres across Germany (and in English).
- Public bicycle hire use across London.
- Bicycle traffic in New York City.
- Public bicycle hire use across Paris.
- Pedestrian and bicycle travel in Zurich (and in English).
We need your help
Do you want to see other cities visualized? Point us to other open source data on travel volumes around a city by raising an issue and we will add them here. Alternatively you can contribute by building your own and making a pull request.